5 things you need to know before starting yoga





Meditation, Spiritual, Yoga, Meditating, Healthy, Zen

Last week, I decided to take up a new hobby, Yoga. I’m a moderately fit person, that’s energy-wise, but I haven’t committed to a form of fitness class since departing from the academic world and so-called ‘extra-curricular activities’, preferring games of tennis or gym exercise.

Yoga seems to be the craze at the moment, following Pilates, spin classes and Zumba - each has had its time. Usually, I don’t like to follow bandwagons but there are some benefits to the exercise, I couldn’t overlook. 

To me it seems Yoga is as much about the state of mind as the physical body. I like the idea of learning how to find a relaxed state - I don’t know if anyone would not find that useful in the midst of the hustle and bustle of city life. Also, a not so flattering point is that it is the closest thing to gymnastics - a long lost love of mine - that’s so easily available to learn.

So, that’s what I thought I knew, and here’s what I think you should consider before starting yoga.

Yoga is relaxing, it’s about breathing deeply and can incorporate slow movement, but essentially it is a workout. Child’s pose will be a welcome position, but not frequent enough. There will be stretches that will have you feeling muscles you never knew existed, especially as the class goes on.  If you want to be prepared for even beginner’s class practise exercises like planks. Unbeknownst to me I had incorporated some useful exercises into my regime before starting, that came in handy.

If you like to change things up when it comes to exercise, don’t worry. There are various types of yoga, dependent on ability and what you’re looking to achieve. As a beginner, I have started out with a slow form of yoga called Hatha but have also been told that Yin would also be a suitable option, not only for beginners like me but pregnant women for example. I would recommend getting a membership or package deal at a yoga club where you can experiment with different types to see what you like.

Yoga is not only for yogis. This might be an odd statement, as all yogis would have not been at some point - learning as we all have to, how to manipulate our bodies, breathing and mind. What I mean by the above statement is, we usually have préconceptions of yogis, that they all lead healthy, active lives - probably middle-class vegan, with a penchant for Crystal jewellery. While I am sure there are many like that, you will find a whole range of people doing yoga, the commonality usually being wanting to feel better within themselves.

Don’t worry if you don’t have the gear. Yoga is one of those activities that doesn’t need much. A lot of classes provide mats and any extra props to make the poses easier.  If you’re worried about hygiene like me, you can always take your own mat. Other than that, you don’t need much more than yourself. I carry a bottle of water. It’s always good to keep hydrated. As for clothing: leggings, a shirt and socks will do. I use ‘yoga socks’ with toes and grip on the bottom. If you do take your own mat, take one specifically for yoga, which tend to be on the thinner side, allowing you to push into the ground easily and get the resistance you need for certain movements.

Most of all, yoga really can improve overall health. Its affect on mental and physical health should not be underestimated. Based on ancient rituals, it allows meditation, and escape, something I definitely need to do more often. I’ll be sure to keep you updated with my yoga journey!


Comments

Popular Posts