What I am looking forward to in 2019



Just in case you’re interested, I thought I’d let you in on what I’m happily anticipating this year – which is my take on a new year’s resolutions post. I learnt a little time ago that resolutions were something I didn’t really do. Well, I attempted to and rather than not achieving them, I realised that I used to end up with the same ones/ similar ones each year because they were ongoing goals. I continue to build on them in any way I can. Here are 5 things I aim to continue throughout 2019:
 
   1.      Writing for the hell of it!

Laptop, Coffee, Notebook, Pen, Glasses, Technology
 
I’ve always enjoyed being creative, and I hope to dedicate more time to writing regular posts like this. Reflective posts, reviews, opinion pieces and lifestyle pieces. I have been doing this for years, and it’s something that I find relaxing and fun.

2.      Networking



As a journalist, networking is part of the job. Sometimes the thought can be a bit daunting, but I have learnt over the past year, that in reality it can be… maybe not exactly fun… but interesting meeting people not necessarily in the same industry, but with something in common. My favourite networking event of last year was attending a book signing for Slay in Your Lane.  If the thought of these type of events freak you out, remember:

-        Events like a book signing can be less pressurising because the focus is not only on networking

-        Others are just as nervous as you, so rather than trying to come across more confident, think about trying to make others feel more comfortable and you may just forget about your nerves

-        You have as much to offer as everyone else – let everyone know how you can help them and that will boost your own confidence
 
3.      Reading
 
 

Of course, our reading lists are never ending. New, compelling reads are released all the time. I can’t wait to dig into some great ones, starting with Becoming by Michelle Obama. Reading fact and fiction books will occupy any spare time I have.

4.      Travelling
 
 

Recently, I have been travelling closer to home, as well as abroad - equally exploring what England has to offer. I’ve found that it’s less of a headache when there’s no airport involved and you can still enjoy being away from the humdrum of everyday life.
 
       5.      Recycling and looking after the environment
 

Looking after the environment has become an ever more pressing issue. While I always recycle, I am just starting to cut down on using single use plastics. This year, I will be looking for recyclable/ bio gradable replacements for the plastic items that turn into harmful waste, such as plastic straws.

6.      Outdoor exercise
 
Admittedly, maybe this is something I’ll save to Summer, but I can’t wait to start doing outdoor sports again, such as tennis, and stocking up on the vitamin D that I been missing out on during the winter months.
 
The list could go on, and maybe certain of the above goals will take precedence over others at different times in the year. What are you going to continue throughout this year?

Cand :)

Comments

Popular Posts